Grad News

To Parkland Parents/Guardians/grade 12 students (May 11, 2020)

Picture of Carol Gribling
To Parkland Parents/Guardians/grade 12 students (May 11, 2020)
by Carol Gribling - Monday, 11 May 2020, 8:16 AM

Hello Parents/Guardians/grade 12 students, 

I am writing to you to update you regarding some important information regarding Parkland 2020 Graduation.  As you have likely heard, the District has made the decision that there will be no live graduation ceremony or celebration this June https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KLrpW7gp5k .   

It goes without saying that we are all disappointed that we will not be able to have some version of an in-person graduation celebration but there is very little chance that gatherings of over 50 will be allowed any time soon.  Therefore we have to move forward with an alternate graduation arrangement.  The district has contracted a production company to work with each high school to produce a "virtual" graduation which will be recorded ahead of time and released at the end of June for all of you to enjoy.  

Early next week I will be reaching out to the student grad committee to get their input into the nature of this production.  I will also be meeting with a committee of Parkland staff that will assist me in organizing all the components of this ceremony.  There will be a lot of activity and tasks required to get all the pieces of this virtual grad ceremony together and I will likely be emailing you all a few more times as clear tasks and deadlines are set.  Please tell your graduate to pay close attention to the Grad 2020 google classroom for all important information.  I would also like to take this time to remind graduates that the deadline for applying to be a Valedictorian, an MC and a musical performer is May 15th.  Application instructions were posted to the Grad 2020 classroom on April 27th. 

For any grade 12 students that have pre-paid for all or part of their graduation, refunds will be processed before the end of the school year.  There will be no charge for the virtual graduation. 

If parents and graduates would like to plan a grad 2020 celebration event for some time in the future, I would be happy to enter into conversation around what that might look like once we hear from the public health officials that gatherings of more than 50 people are permitted. 

Thank you all for your patience and your understanding as we shift gears and do the best we can to honour the graduates of 2020.

Lizanne Chicanot
Principal, Parkland Secondary School
250-415-2418
lchicanot@saanichschools.ca