TUESDAY MARCH 13, 2018
Grad sleepover forms are due at the office by March 16th. Grad sleepover is planned for April 5.
Important Yearbook meeting today at lunch in Lab 301. All yearbook students required to attend.
Attention all leadership students: we will be taking a group photo tomorrow at lunch, Wed March 14, so all Jr & Sr Leadership students please attend.
THURSDAY MARCH 15 - PROGRAM INFO NIGHT - INTERURBAN CAMPUS, CAMOSUN COLLEGE - learn about which programs may interest you, what high school courses and grades you need, how much it will cost, and what career opportunities are available. EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT PROGRAMS IN BUSINESS, SPORT AND EXERCISE, TRADES AND TECHNOLOGIES @ CAMOSUN COLLEGE takes place: Thursday March 15, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. - UNDECIDED? EXPLORE ALL AREAS TO HELP YOU DECIDE - GREAT OPPORTUNITY!
COME CELEBRATE ST. PATRICK'S DAY with KON THE LEPRECHAUN on Friday, March 16th at lunch in the front foyer! There will be a bake sale, scavenger hunt, and a fun relay race! There will also be fun St. Patrick's themed prizes for the winners!
ALL GRADS: Keep MAGIC WAND in mind when planning your grad outfit! BORROW from Magic Wand; outfits can be tailored for fit, and choices are available for female and male grads. Phone 250-658-0246 for information, or see website FOR BOUTIQUE DAY APPOINTMENTS. See GRAD BOARD FOR MORE DETAILS - WHY SPEND $ WHEN YOU CAN FIND A PERFECT FIT @ MAGIC WAND?
STUDENTS: want to see your ARTWORK OR POETRY IN YEARBOOK? Submit original works to Mrs. Antonik BEFORE spring break!
VIDEOGRAPHERS: MARCH 28, 2018 deadline for FOCUS ON SAFETY YOUTH VIDEO CONTEST for high school students; prizes awarded by WORK SAFE B.C. Looking for creative and original video productions that explore trusting your instincts to stay safe at work. Cash prize, and bonus lunch with prominent Canadian filmmaker, behind the scenes tour, and more! See worksafebc.com/studentvideocontest for further details.
SCHOOL DAY HEALTHY Start: BAGEL BREAKFAST: Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday mornings, before school, @ BLUE TABLES.
MEZZANINE USE: ALL STUDENTS - for use of MEZZANINE IN GYM AREA - Please INQUIRE for permission WITH P.E. teachers.
SCHOLARSHIPS, BURSARIES AND GRAD INFORMATION: tba
ANY PARKLAND 2018 GRADS INTERESTED IN ATTENDING THE UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA: there is a special registration and information session in Victoria - Wednesday March 14, Magnolia Hotel, from 7 to 9 p.m. See Ms. McNamee for info.
ALL GRADE 12 STUDENTS PLEASE REMEMBER - WHEN REQUESTING OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS FOR EDUCATIONAL APPLICATIONS, OR FOR SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES, AT LEAST ONE FULL DAY'S NOTICE IS REQUIRED.
ATHLETICS, SPORTS TEAMS, TEAM MEETINGS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS:
TUESDAY MARCH 13 - TEACHERS versus TEAM BROWNIES
THURSDAY MARCH 15 - SENIOR HOCKEY BOYS versus TEAM BROWNIES
CAREER CENTRE, CAREER EVENTS, WORK EXPERIENCE, JOB AND VOLUNTEER POSTING:
EXTRAORDINARY OPPORTUNITY - the high tech pilot project - EXPERIENCE INNOVATION - develop skills! High school students can apply to be part of technical training program at UVIC's Computer Science department. Participate in 6 full day workshops each Saturday - eligible for both WEX 12A and WEZ 12B CREDITS! See Ms. McNamee ASAP for further details, and application. Deadline to apply: March 16, 2018.
NEW MARINE TRADES TRAINING PROGRAM @ CAMOSUN COLLEGE: 12 weeks - includes on-line training, and hands-on instruction. DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: March 16, 2018 - see Ms. McNamee and Career Board posters for further info.
CHECK OUT JOB & VOLUNTEER BOARDS FOR THE LATEST POSTINGS. INTERESTED IN APPLYING, SEE MS. MCNAMEE!
1. GAMES2U - unique interactive entertainment company works with school age children, looking for Game Coaches to provide quality customer service for video game theatres, high-tech laser tag, bumper balls, inflatables and more. See Ms. McNamee for details, and application process. 10 to 20 hours per week, evenings and weekends, $13 per hour.
2. MARIA'S SOUVLAKI: PART-TIME, EVENINGS AND WEEKENDS. Server, hostess, cashier position. See Ms. McNamee ASAP - this is a great job!
3. MARKET GARDEN SMALL FARM, MUNRO ROAD, NORTH SAANICH - spring break assistance - moving aged manure, weeding, cleaning up garden beds. Could work into summer job for the right candidate. A physical job, worker must be able to work unsupervised, and follow general instructions. $13 per hour. See Ms. McNamee for further details.
4. COAST CAPITAL SAVINGS YOUTH INTERN PROGRAM: combine real world paid experience with public community events. Great lead-in to financial services education and employment. See Ms. McNamee for details - application deadline April 11.18.
5. TERN PLACE, NORTH SAANICH - raking leaves and cedar branches - students need transportation. Four hours, @ $15 per hour.
6. EAST SAANICH ROAD - digging holes for tree planting.
7. BROOKLEIGH ROAD - ELK LAKE - spring clean-up inside, windows; $12 per hour, 6 hours per week on Saturdays.
8. ASSISTANT DAY CAMP LEADER - at Panorama Rec - July 30-August 31 - $14.23/hr - application deadline March 14 - See Ms Mac asap to apply
NEW TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES COMING UP:
NAV CANADA'S EXPLORE AVIATION CAMP for girls interested in a career in aviation. Summer Camp in Cornwall, Ontario, for one week of learning, fun, friendship - focus on AVIATION. All-expenses paid camp with hands-on learning! Deadline: FRIDAY March 9, 2018 - see MS. MCNAMEE ASAP if you are interested in applying!
1. WORK SAFE FOR YEP - Friday May 4 - 3 hour FREE WORKSHOP; great for resume.
2 ALERT FIRST AID - SATURDAY MAY 5 - 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. - basic CPR, first aid, hands-on training. $50 registration.
3. RETAIL TRAINING - BRENTWOOD BAY & SIDNEY- monthly on Sundays, April - May. See Ms. McNamee.
TUTORIALS AND COURSE WORK ASSISTANCE: LOTS OF HELP AND ACADEMIC SUPPORT AVAILABLE!
1. TUTORIALS IN LEARNING CENTRE: REMINDER TO ALL TEACHERS AND STUDENTS - TUTORIAL IS AVAILABLE daily after school. Wednesday & Friday tutorial times are best for longer tests & assignments.
2. LEARNING COMMONS SUPPORT: Monday, Tuesday & Thursday day after school until 3:40 p.m., Wednesday & Friday until 3:35 p.m. PLEASE NOTE: ELL TUTOR also available Wednesday & Friday after school.
3. MATH HELP TUTORIAL: available most Wednesdays after school, from 2 to 3 p.m., in Room 201.
BAND - MUSIC REHEARSALS ALL YEAR:
JAZZ BAND - Monday & Wednesday mornings;
CONCERT BAND - Tuesday & Thursday mornings
CHOIR - Friday mornings.
SPECIALS: Butter Chicken on Rice; Baked Spaghetti; Veggi Fried Rice
SOUP, SALAD & SANDWICH: Greek Salad, Veggies & Dip
BAKED GOODS AND SWEET TREATS: Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins; Chocolate Pudding
Note: for prepaid $25 cafeteria cards - purchase from Cafeteria. To use debit or credit card to purchase Cafeteria card, please see front office.