Front Page News

To Parkland Parents/Guardians/Students

Picture of Carol Gribling
To Parkland Parents/Guardians/Students
by Carol Gribling - Monday, 30 March 2020, 8:08 AM

Dear Parkland parents/guardians/students

I wanted to take this opportunity to reach out and connect directly with you via email as we get ready to “return” to school tomorrow.  Firstly I hope that you are all doing well and managing through these unprecedented and uncertain times. I expect that the circumstances that we all find ourselves in have provided some unique challenges for you and your extended family.  Although we are not returning to school physically, I hope that the return to school “virtually” will provide you with a welcome opportunity to connect with school staff and the Parkland community and introduce a level of normalcy into your lives.

The first week back (March 30-April 3) will be an opportunity for teachers to organize themselves and for the district to check in regarding teacher technology needs.  We are in uncharted territory and it will take some time to get up and running so at this time I am asking for your patience. You and/or your son/daughter can expect to hear from their teachers with a gentle start up plan (in most cases) during the week of April 6-10 but by no later than mid April.

In order to keep you all updated with emerging information I will be posting updates on the front page of our website.  If you haven’t already, I recommend that you sign up to subscribe to our forum posts on our website. By doing so any updates that I post to the website will go directly to your email.  If you go to the Parkland website and look at the left side you will see “forum subscriptions”. Click on “send me forum posts by email” and follow the prompts.  

I want to remain in good contact with families so please email me directly with any questions, concerns, or updates on your family’s health.  I will do my best to keep up with emails. My email is lchicanot@saanichschools.ca.  My cell number is 250-415-2418 if you prefer to text or if you have something of an urgent nature to discuss.

Finally, I have been heartened to witness how families, neighbours and communities are helping one another.  I believe that to get through this we must stay committed, hopeful and positive so I commit to sharing a positive story or quote at the end of any forum post or email to parents.  Please feel free to share some with me that I can pass along!

“Train yourself to find the blessing in everything”

Take good care.

Lizanne Chicanot
Principal, Parkland Secondary School