Front Page News

Welcome back to school September 2020

Picture of Carol Gribling
Welcome back to school September 2020
by Carol Gribling - Friday, 18 September 2020, 3:44 PM

What a unique year this is!  Mr. Earnshaw (Vice Principal) and I wanted to thank all parents and guardians for your patience and your trust as we navigate some very new start up routines.  We've now completed our first week of regular instruction and things have gone very well.  I am extremely impressed with the work that the teachers have done to prepare teaching in the new quarter system.  Hats off to them as they rearranged their courses, mapped out safe seating in their classrooms and adapted to all the new health and safety guidelines from the Ministry of Education.  Our support staff and custodial staff have been working around the clock to make all the changes required for the safe start up of school.  

Mostly, I am so very impressed with the students--they have returned with enthusiasm, vitality, and a real sense of respect for the safety protocols that are necessary right now.  As I told the students during their orientations, I truly believe that we are all very fortunate to be a part of Parkland Secondary School where we have a relatively small student population and a fairly large building. We can spread out, be safe and carry on with all the great programs that we have to offer.

Unfortunately we will not have our traditional Meet The Teacher evening in September.  However, please mark your calendars for the first Parent-Teacher interview evening (October 8th).  We are not quite sure what the format will be yet but stay tuned for further information.  Please review the Year at a Glance calendar on the website for important dates.  On the front page of the website there are some important bulletins for your reference--the new bell schedule, the revised daily screening checklist, information on registering for buses, and the Day1/Day 2 schedule for the week.  

I recognize that there is much to digest with all of the new routines and changes in schedules.  Thank you once again for your patience.  Please do call the office if you need further information or clarification on anything that might be confusing.  We are here to help and will work in partnership with you to provide the best education possible for your children.

All the best for the year to come!

Lizanne Chicanot
Principal