Front Page News

To Parkland Parents/Guardians/Students (May 1st 2020)

Picture of Carol Gribling
To Parkland Parents/Guardians/Students (May 1st 2020)
by Carol Gribling - Friday, 1 May 2020, 3:05 PM

Hello Parents/Guardians and Students,

It is hard to believe that it is May 1st and we are closing week #5 of remote learning.  I am heartened by some very encouraging comments from parents and teachers that despite the challenges students are engaging and moving forward in their learning.  I'm also concerned that a lack of motivation for a number of students is stalling their progress.  Believe me--I have empathy.  No one chose these circumstances that we find ourselves in and some are just better suited to adapting to remote learning than others are.  That being said, I strongly encourage all students to stay the course and do what they can to stay on top of their assignments.  This is an opportunity for students to hone their organizational skills and to work on becoming more internally motivated.  As always, please do contact me should there be extenuating circumstances for your child that requires extra intervention and/or some accommodations.

Here are a few information items to be aware of:

1) Parkland PAC is having their AGM via Zoom on Tuesday May 5th at 7pm.  If you would like to attend but are not on the PAC mailing list please contact PAC president Sara Benson   (sarabensonis@gmail.com).

2) Grade 12 Parkland students did receive term 3 marks because Universities typically require an interim mark for students' second semester courses.  Report cards however were not printed and distributed (due to the Covid-19 situation).  Final marks for all students will be issued in June and will take into consideration work that was done prior to spring break along with progress made in their remote learning.  It is my hope that we will be able to print and distribute these report cards in June but mechanisms for that have yet to be determined.

3) Bus registration for 2020/21 is now open through the district website (Programs and Services-->Transportation) or you can access the link directly https://www.sd63.bc.ca/programs-and-services/transportation

Thank you for staying connected to the school and for being so understanding of the situation that we all find ourselves in.  I so appreciate your patience.  As they say--we cannot change the wind but we can adjust our sails.  Hopefully we will be sailing together and in person soon!

Take care
Lizanne Chicanot
Principal, Parkland Secondary
lchicanot@saanichschools.ca
(250-415-2418)