Front Page News

To Parkland Parents/Guardians/Students (June 3, 2020)

Picture of Carol Gribling
To Parkland Parents/Guardians/Students (June 3, 2020)
by Carol Gribling - Thursday, 4 June 2020, 7:59 AM

Good evening Parkland families,

First of all thank you for your ongoing patience as we continue to work through and refine schedules, protocols and procedures for the remainder of June.  It has been very good to see a number of students return to school--our plans and safety protocols are working well.  I have just received notification from the District office that there will be a change regarding the way Fridays in June will run in order to give teachers some time to continue working with their students remotely.  As you are aware, this Friday is a non-instructional day.  Friday June 12th and Friday June 19th are now going to be days where staff can work remotely.  Students will still be able to return to school as per the original plan:

Mondays A-C, Tuesdays D-J, Wednesdays K-P, Thursdays R-Z.

The only real difference is that if students would like to come for an extra day, Friday will no longer be available.  However students can simply come for their extra day on the day that follows their allocated day (if Thursday is their allocated day then those students can attend on Monday as well).  We are also encouraging any student that has been given an "I" (incomplete) to come for more than 2 days per week if possible (those students can just come--no need to email me).

The last week of new instruction will be the week of June 8-12.  Students choosing to attend after June 12 will be afforded the opportunity to make up missed work or improve assignments already submitted.  Our "regular schedule" will end on June 18th.  The only students that need to attend after that are those that have "I"s (incompletes). 

A few other important notes:

My hope is to have 2020/21 schedules available for students to pick up the week of June 15th.  Students should also return all texts the week of June 15th as well as clean out their lockers.  I will send out more detailed information regarding these important tasks next week.

Report cards will be available for pick up at the front office the first two weeks of July.

I hope this is enough information for now.  And once again, thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to refine our planning.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the office (250-655-2700).

Take care.

Lizanne Chicanot
Principal, Parkland Secondary School
lchicanot@saanichschools.ca